TMD, Temporomandibular Disorders, are abnormal conditions of the jaw joint that can affect jaw movement and may cause pain. It is not considered a serious issue in some situations, and it may get better over time. If it does not get better over time, Botox can be used as a TMD treatment.
Symptoms of TMD
- Do you have sore muscles around your jaws when you wake up every day?
- Do you suffer from head or neck aches frequently?
- Would the pain worsen as you chew?
- When you are under stress, does it worsen the pain?
- As you open your mouth would your jaw click or pop?
- Do you frequently feel pain in your ears?
- Does the pain not enable you to open your mouth completely or affect your daily routine such as eating?
- Are there any previous injuries to your neck, head, or jaw?
- Have you had problems with joints in other parts of your body?
- When you bite, do you have teeth that are no longer in contact?
There is an increased probability that you have TMD whenever you answer yes to any of these questions.
Benefit of Using Botox for TMD Treatments
- This treatment can eliminate headaches caused by your teeth grinding.
- It can free a locked jaw caused by muscle tension.
- It will reduce your discomfort when you use your jaw.
- It reduces shoulder and neck pain.
- It will substantially reduce the tension of your jaw.
Process of the TMD Treatment
Botox treatment for TMD is typically performed as an outpatient procedure. It will be performed right in our offices. Each session of treatment would take around 30 minutes and you can expect to have at least two injection sessions in several months.
We will inject Botox into your head area and jaw muscles, respectively. We might inject in other areas of your head depending on your situation. We would then decide on the amount of Botox injections you would require. The injection can cause some discomfort so we recommend a cold pack after to minimize swelling.
Tips for Post-Treatment of Botox
Some improvements will be felt within the next two days after the treatment. It usually takes a few days for your symptoms to subside. You can safely return to your routine as soon as you finish the TMD treatment.
In addition, you should sit upright and avoid rubbing on the injection sites for several hours after the treatment. This would prevent the Botox from spreading to other facial muscles.
Look for Head Pain Institute
We are Arizona’s leading TMD treatment center. We have completed many procedures and have a total of 80 years of experience in the field. You could also head over to our website to read testimonials by our customers. Don’t suffer for another day, you can be pain-free. Schedule an appointment with us by calling 480-945-3629 today!